Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Blog 18

That hardest part of this project was sticking to strictly New York as an object to compare and contrast the film too. While yes, Escape From New York obviously takes place within the titular city, it is apparent that many other factors play a larger role in it's development. Watergate, nuclear war fears, lack of faith in our leaders all play as big a part in the development of the world seen in this film and, I felt, were much more important.

To me the most interesting aspect of writing this was pointing out the enormous differences, yet still having a strange similarity, between the real New York of the mid 90's and the one in the film. Yes crime went down, and no birdges were blown up; but when you consider just how Giuliani "cleaned up New York" I began to see elements of a police state. It's such a subtle similarity between the two that it had me cackling with laughter.

In the end I had no problem finding what I felt I needed to find. Most times I would type a term in the article databases and would take it from there; cherry picking what I found interesting and eventually discarding what I didn't. When it comes to writing rules, I gave up on consciously following them a long time ago. I know them, I'm aware of them, obviously; but, I've never found myself looking over the written word and thinking "Have I downshifted here? Should I?" etc etc. I worry most, and perhaps too much so, about my punctuation and grammar. Those are the only things i willfully sweat while writing. Everything else just comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment