Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blog ten of the tenth to the power of ten, word.

I've always liked writing in some form since, well since I was little.   I wrote short stories in a little spiral notebook, or I did crappy little comics on lined paper.  This carried over into my adults years, but I can't say if the quality has improved; I'd like to think so.  I take this trip down memory lane because, I welcomed the idea of blogging in lieu of paper.  If there's one thing I enjoy more than anything is informal writing.

Through the years, as far as advice goes, there's always been one constant:  if you want to be a writer, then write write write.  So as far as I'm concerned, I find the entire concept of in-class blogging a sound one and, for the most part I look forward to just sitting by a keyboard and writing.  I feel no pressure because, even if it's something I have zero idea about, it doesn't mean I can't try to write about it and--hopefully--make it interesting along the way.

I feel that's one of my strengths when it comes to informal writing, that ability to make it so undeniably me; which, in turn, I hope makes what I write about interesting.  It's actually one of the main things I had trouble getting around when I first started academic writing.  I always tried to make it personable, and fun, and I was told "don't do that".  So thanks, teachers of my life, I've become an academic essay robot.

Anyway.  Not important.

To pick what I think is my best piece of the blog is actually pretty easy.  Blog 4.
It's well researched, a good length, and I had a blast writing it.  Seeing it also helps me point out what I feel my biggest issue with my blog work; lack of length and content for a lot of my work.  I'm just of the mind that I don't write just to write.  If I have nothing interesting to say, I just...stop.  I despise padding.  Blog 4, in retrospect, was easy for me.  Mainly because I've found that I'm fascinated by the aspect of mass illusions.  In fact, it's the most interesting aspect of the course we've explored so far.  All that other stuff, especially seeing philosophy and other works in The Matrix is just old hat and corny to me.  I went through that phase myself when the films came out, and hearing people talk about it ten years later as if it's still relevant drives me nuts.

It's so hack.  As far as I'm concerned, The Matrix is important because of the techniques it brought to film making, and for bringing Hong Kong style martial arts to the masses, not it's philosophical leanings.  yes, it's nice that it tried and, yes, it's smarter than your average sci fi action flick, but it's not what made the movie a cornerstone for cinema.

Another problem I have is that I don't end my posts well; as you're about to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment